Wednesday, April 1, 2009

"Facebook Haggadah" has an ethical backstory

Jeffrey Weiss/Reporter - The Dallas Morning News blog

A very funny parody that pokes fun both of the frankly confusing traditional Passover Hagaddah and of Facebook is getting plenty of linkage. Cathy Grossman on USAToday and Steve Waldman on Beliefnet, for example. Some of the jokes will only make sense to someone familiar with a Passover Seder. But some of it works for anybody. Here's a nugget:

25 things you didn't know about me by God
1. Guilty pleasure: Smiting people.
2. I had another universe once, it was so much better than this one. But I got really wasted one night and lost it in a game of craps. :( I'm never doing that again.)

And the link.

But there's an interesting backstory you won't find there (or on the other linkages to the Hagaddah).Ii e-mailed the creator, Carl Elkin, and asked him for some background. I'll post his reply at the jump (Hint: He's trying for more than just funny.)

I sent him a simple request for background: "So, um, who *are* you?" Here was his reply: more

No comments: