Friday, September 18, 2009

Signature Mitzvot of the Beth El B.O.T.

SIGNATURE MITZVOT OF THE TBE BOARD OF TRUSTEES

With theme of Mitzvah being a prime focus of our activities this year, I asked the Board of Trustees to share some of their “signature mitzvot.” The results are below. If you would like to see a full list of the 613 Mitzvot, click here.

When you are asked in the world to come, “What was your work?” and you answer, “I fed the hungry,” you will be told, “This is the gate of the Lord, enter into it, you who have fed the hungry…The same goes for those who raised orphans, performed acts of tzedakah, clothed the naked and embraced acts of loving-kindness (Midrash Psalms 118:17).

What is your “work?” What is your signature mitzvah? What do you want to be the first thing mentioned in your eulogy (aside from “loving parent, spouse, friend, etc.”)?


I have spent more than 40 years committed to involvement in Jewish and Secular community service. My parents and grandparents were my role models.

A decent human being who really cared for his fellow man through acts of kindness.

Opening the Temple and facilitating morning minyan so people can say Kaddish. Overseeing Beth El Cemetery.

Pillar of personal support for anybody needing an ear, a shoulder, encouragement, focus and/or ideas about a better way and a better life.


That I was a good person. That I was a good mother. That I loved my friends and family above all else.


A wonder and supportive friend and confidant.


Help when help is needed.


My wife and I have a pool party each year inviting widows who do not get out much. In addition we invite them for breakfast. You cannot believe the wonderful feeling these people have being included and not forgotten.


VP membership for Stamford Chapter Hadassah. Greeter for High Holy Days. JFS Ambassador from Temple Beth El. JFS yearly dinner committee and auction. Hadassah calendar committee. Hostess 2nd Passover seder for everyone. Shalom Stamford Beth El representative.


My signature mitzvah was tutoring a young, physically and mentally challenged woman to become a Bat Mitzvah at Temple Beth El. Thank you, Rabbi Hammerman, for giving me this opportunity.


I have volunteered in my community within my children’s schools and Temple Beth El, all the way to international work for Israel and Hadassah Hospital outreach programs. What I have found as my greatest reward is seeing all ages, each generation, finding a way to come along and help.

Volunteer reading tutor for first graders in the Stamford public schools.

No comments: