Thursday, May 18, 2017

TBE Bar/Bat Mitzvah Commentary: Julia Giventer on Behar-Behukotai


        Hello and Shabbat Shalom!

      The theme of my speech is perseverance and strength

        You may notice that I look a little different from your typical Bat Mitzvah. Unfortunately. I was trying to coordinate my cast with my dress, and while its not a perfect match, this color is still perfect for Spring! Everyone should get a cast. It is in Vogue this season.

         As I believe most of you know, I broke my elbow and was required to have surgery. But one positive thing came out of it. I was able to pick all of the colors of my casts. Of my 6 different colored casts, I think the purple one was my favorite. Just my personal recommendation.

          In spite of this cast, I feel grateful to be here today in front of my family and friends.  I would thank my parents, the Rabbi, the Cantor, the teachers and Nurit, of course.

        My Bat Mitzvah has been a very long process of training.  The last few weeks have been very busy with preparations for this event, and as you can see I have been quite limited in what I can do, but this has not stopped me from being here for today.  If anything, I was kind of “stuck” in one place!

         I know how blessed I am, and there many others who are not as fortunate as me. Many of these people live in this area.   

     A “mitzvah” means a good deed to help others, and my “Mitzvah” project is to donate to the “Food Bank of Lower Fairfield County”.  I feel terrible that 1 in 5 children in Fairfield county are either food insecure or are hungry. Ironically, my parsha talks about great misfortune.
        
      What have I learned from this experience, you ask? 
        
      Perseverance is key to overcoming misfortune.
      
       In my Parsha, the land is harvested every 6 years and rests one year. As we are all here on the 7th day of the week, Shabbat, the day of rest and reflection.     

    
    MAYBE MY ACCIDENT HAS GIVEN ME THE CHANCE TO TAKE A STEP BACK AND APPRECIATE ALL I HAVE, MUCH AS THE SHABBAT AND SABBATICAL YEAR ARE INTENDED TO ACCOMPLISH.  

          The end of this Parsha is also the end of the book of Leviticus. 

  
             It is customary when we finish a book of the Torah to say “Chazak, chazak, v'nitchazek” which means – “Be strong, be strong, and may we be strengthened!”

       
            And so I leave you all with these same words as go through your life “Be strong, be strong, and may we all be strengthened”.                                                     
        
      Let us say “AMEN”                                                                                                                                                           

No comments: